Wednesday, November 24, 2010

I Climb the Learning Curve

There are days when I think the new website I am designing all by my little lonesome is almost ready and totally fantastic.  There are other days when I am so confused and down at heart that I feel like Harry Potter trying to unravel the riddle of the Horcruxs.  Today I am the latter.  Everything that can go wrong has and I am utterly lost and a bit hopeless.

Not me, but could be.

I generally feel there is a lesson in everything and I can't help but wonder if the lesson in this all is that we all feel confused, lost, and hopeless at times when scaling the learning curve of ANY new skill.

A couple of weeks ago I got the website process underway in earnest by attending a class in how to build a wordpress website.  Although the teacher was fabulous and very clear in her explanations, everything was new to me and very hard to understand.  I frantically scribbled lots of notes incomprehensible at the time, that I keep referring back to and truthfully, each time they make a bit more sense.  It occurred to me that maybe this is how some of my clients feel when they first come to me?  Maybe they are totally new to healthy eating and I, wanting to give tons of value, overload them with more information than they can even process.

When I think of it this way, that all of my struggles are just part of the learning process and that without the challenge of learning and accomplishing new things we stagnate and stew in our own mediocrity, I feel more energized to press on.

I also realized that, again, not unlike the weight loss process, it is very easy to want the end result without the work it takes to get there.  I have the dream of a successful online component to add to my business, enabling me to help even more people all around the world.  That's a pretty big goal and it makes me really, really excited...

But all the difficult-to-master steps I must make to get me to the end goal have me feeling frustrated and impatient.  Me thinks it's time to take a dose of my own medicine.

Post on patience here:  http://emilysegal.blogspot.com/2010/07/stay-course.html

Post on practice here:  http://emilysegal.blogspot.com/2010/08/10000-hours.html

The best times in life are when the teacher becomes the student.  This process will help me treat people more compassionately.  It with enable me to understand that as confusing html is to me, so are aduki beans to others.  I now understand that I need to go slower sometimes.

Seven times today I emailed the teacher of my wordpress class and 7 times she patiently talked me off the ledge.  Another parallel for my own business.

And now my friends, I have burned those same aduki beans I just mentioned above because I was writing this post and not paying attention to the stove.

OK, OK, I get it!  Enough lessons for now please...

2 comments:

  1. So... the lesson is forget the aduki beans and order in pizza! And relax - you'll make a great website because you have the amazing Kelli helping you and it will be wonderful and everyone will go into it and love what you have to say and you'll laugh about the days when you worried about the farcockteh website design. Just do it girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh (((Em)))! This post brought back memories of years ago when I first discovered that I had food allergies and was told to try an alkaline diet. I remember being so overwhelmed, reading ingredients on every food label, wondering what in the world some of those crazy sounding foods were (adzuki beans) and praying for the day that it would all become second nature.

    I've come so far, but still have a long way to go. I'm so glad you posted the links to the practice and patience posts. The practice post is one of my favorites of yours.

    Thanks for sharing this incredible journey that you are on with us. Hang in there! Your hard work, patience and practice will be rewarding in the end.

    ReplyDelete